November 19, 2008

To the Doctor We Go...Again!

Oh my goodness! I should park a cot in the doctors office as much I stay in there. haha After last week's doctors visit, the doctor said I could start Trace on formula. He weighed 8.15 ozs and said he would do just fine on formula. So for the first few days I mixed formula with breastmilk.
I started Trace on straight formula on Friday. It has been great for both of us because I feel a little more free and more comfortable knowing exactly how much he is eating and he is not getting frusterated like he was. He has been eating like 2-3 oz. every 2.5-3 hours. Well, Monday night I decided I would try to give him 4 ounces. What was I thinking? After about 3 ounces, he decided he was finished but obviously I was not. I kept pushing it in his mouth until he had no choice but take the 4 ounces. Well, the last burp was a doozie. He burped, then spit up and then projectile vomitted through his mouth and nose and wasn't breathing for a second or two but seemed like 10 minutes. Quite the scare as you can imagine. I suctioned out his nose to make sure all the milk was out. About 10 minutes later he was fussy and I assumed he was probably hungry considering he just lost his WHOLE bottle. Bobby gave him an ounce and he kept it down fine. That was about 9:45 pm and then he slept and woke up fussy again at 10:45. So, of course, he was crying so I assumed he was hungry. We gave him 1.5 ozs. Took it burped, fine, went to sleep. So you know I was not putting him in his bed after he threw up earlier. So I slept with him on the couch. He woke up at 1:45 am crying so I decided I would try and offer him 2 ozs. After 1.5 ounces, out it came! Not out the nose this time, thank goodness! He ended up sleeping until 5:45 and I fed him 2 ounces and he kept it down. I was just waiting until 8:00 to come around so I could call the doctor. He also sounded a little congested so that was another reason for me to call. After speaking to the nurse, she decided it would be best for me to come in. Appointment was schedule for 2:2o yesterday. I had my postpartum check up that morning as well.
Thank goodness, my grandmother came that day to keep Trace so I could go for my postpartum check-up because she was able to go to his doctor with me. He obviously is having no problem taking the food because he is now 9.9 lbs. The doctor said his congestion was normal. He wasn't so sure though about his vomitting. He told me that it could be a few things....overeating, reflux or something I can't spell or even remember how to pronounce (polystinosis or something). He said it normally is more common in males and first borns. GREAT!! I actually had a friend of mine whose son had this a few weeks ago. They have to go in to the stomach and dialate a valve so that food can move through and get digested. So, Dr. Capp decided he would go ahead and call the hospital and schedule an ultrasound for that afternoon and if it was positive he told me they would probably admit us and the surgery would be performed either that evening or Wednesday morning. Oh my goodness, for those of you that know me very well, you know I was a basketcase. But I wasn't nearly as bad as I would have been had grandma not been with me. She kept telling me it was going to be okay and to not worry. I held it together pretty well until we got to the hospital and saw other children there. It broke my heart!
The ultrasound technician (Mrs. Personality...Not) came and got us and took us to the room to get his ultrasound. She quietly looked at stomach and was not saying much. I was having to ask her what she was looking at because at this moment I really wasn't believing the "no news is good news" thing. I thought she just didn't want to tell me something. But once she was finished she said it looked good and the radiologist would take a final read and then contact my doctor. She sent us home and said if it were positive they would have us stay so most likely everything is fine. I felt much better leaving but still a little uneasy until that confirmed. About 6:45 last night, the doctor called and told me that the results of the ultrasound were negative. So then why the vomitting? He switched his formula to Enfamil Prosobee. (which I and I think Bobby were on when we were babies).
He said he really thought I just overfed him. He said his stomach should tolerate 4-5 ounces but Trace was only taking 2-2.5 because I would feed him everytime he cried and there was no need for him to eat a lot at one feeding because he knew he would get more food in just a little while. It all makes sense now. So today, I stretched out his feedings and didn't feed him everytime he cried and he seems to be doing a little better. He has eaten 3-3.5 ounces every 3-4 hours. YAY! Oh yeah and last night he ate at 8:00 and then went to sleep. My grandmother loves to just hold him so she did and I didn't mind at all. She told me to go to bed so I could get a couple of hours of sleep. I was thinking he would wake up to eat around 11:00 or at the max 1:00. He has gone 5 hours before only a few times. So Bobby and I went to bed and I woke up to her at the bedroom door at 3:15. Oh yes, 3:15!!! Can you believe it? He went 7 hours last night and slept 5 of the 7. YAY!! I am sure it was only because he was in her arms. I don't really think if he was sleeping in his bed, he would have slept that long. That would be great though. So I fed him 3.25 ounces and then he waited 4 more hours and then ate 3.5 ounces. It has been the same schedule all day today. I am so anxious to see how long he will sleep tonight not being in her arms. Within the next few days, I am going to try the 4 ounces again but I just dread that spit up/vomit if it happens again. It is sooo scary!! But we will survive and I am looking forward to figuring all this out.
So all this to say, I guess I am overfeeding my child and now have to get him on some sort of schedule and can't feed him everytime he cries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the joys of figuring it all out! Glad your grandma was with you and that Trace gave you such an awesome night!! I hope he does it again for you. :) Give him a kiss for me!

emilyb said...

I can definitely see in my head what you were like after finding out all that could happen! I'm glad he is doing well and you'll get it all figured out... too bad they don't come with instruction manuals!